We were working against the wind today on the farm. Strong wind from the West re ignited a bush fire we put out last week. We spent a good part of the afternoon with shovels and water extinguishers to contain the fire from spreading until the water tank and pump arrived to drench down the area. At the same time the silage tarp let loose. We tried out best to pull down the plastic with failed attempts. We are hoping the plastic survives the night so that we can re seal the stack in the morning.
I received my secondary nosema counts and viral analysis today. My initial (Sept 10) sampling was analysed with a nosema spore count of 2.6M and identified as Ceranae. Four weeks after a fall fumagillin treatment I took a sample for another count (Oct 6) . This count came back at a .8M sprore count, a reduction of 1.8M. I also had my sampling tested for seven viruses and it came back negative on all viruses. Quoted from my report;
“Our diagnostic did not detect any virus in your honey bees not even the most extended and common viruses, which it is certainly impressive. “
My varroa counts came back consistent at .04%.
This analysis has proved my hives are in good shape, with the only a Nosema infection to watch. I am going to send anther sample in January to see how my Nosema levels hold.
This afternoon I slipped into Winnipeg to pick up one last load of sucrose. I can not pass on this last opportunity of getting a bit more syrup into my hives. I will fill the totes to top off the larger hungry hives. They will take it over the next few days, then it looks as if the weather will slip. Time to get the winter shed prepped!
God Bless CPL Nathan Cirillo, the Canadian Soldier and Tomb Guard, who was brutally murdered in a cowardly terrorist attack today.
Rest In Peace brother.
I will never apologize for loving this country
I will never apologize for honouring Canadians in uniform
I had a beekeeper stop by last week for coffee and we were talking about spring time feeding of syrup. Both of us are on exact the same page in regards to dumping a 2.5 gallon pail of syrup onto a hive in spring, only to have the bees not take it and drip drip drip through the cluster onto the ground…I hate feeding the ants! I have been so frustrated with feeding during the spring that I went to open feeding and dropping frames of honey into light hives. Open feeding works IF THE BEES ARE ABLE TO FLY and dropping frames of honey is tones of work. What Bryce Fisher, a beekeeper from Wawanesa, did was melt screens into the tops of pail plugs, drilled two syrup access holes in the side and simply plug into the pail hole after filling. The smaller sized pail keeps the syrup from dripping but the screen provide lots of access to the bees if they need the syrup. And if they don’t need the syrup, it stays in the pail!
This pail will be added to my spring time management plan. Mass production this winter!! lol