October 12 2017

I spent the day spraying some late season burn off to dig deep and kill some of those hard to kill perennials. We upgraded our sprayer to a JD 4930 and today was my first chance to get on er. Now to winterize the machine as freezing temps tease the forecast.

More and more feedback on my video blog. I thought I’d post a quote from one of my messages:

“getting a little dirt on the hands, the heart of the fun of it all.”

^^that is exactly what I’m all about ^^

October 11 2017

I’m hearing a lot about honey contamination lately. I’m not happy to hear this, because I pride myself on producing a pure product. But testing is getting so specific that we are looking at parts per billion now. To frame ppb into references, one ppb is 3 seconds counted within a century… Instead of sitting in the dark on this one, I’ve decided to send a sample of my honey away to be tested by the National Bee Diagnostic Centre. They provide chemical analysis services to beekeepers wanting bees, honey, or pollen tested for chemical contamination and measure down to 1 ppb. All the noise currently is claiming 1-2 ppb of neonics, so the service the NBDC can provide should help determine if my honey falls under the same criteria as what is being claimed.
I’ve said it before… it’s nice to have a Diagnostic Centre at my fingertip to achieve answers to such questions. The service is here, beekeepers just need to make time to use it.

October 10 2017

Today I jumped onto the field tractor and tilled some land. It feels good to turn some earth. Looks like I’ll be running machinery for the rest of the week.


“Ian, just relax. Beekeepers watch beekeeping videos and beekeeping presentations to learn about Beekeeping… not so much about how it is presented.
…Keep on the same path you are on. Even though I will never be able to replicate your commercial scale methods I follow your blog because it is interesting to me as a beekeeper. Seeing other points of view and listening enhances my beekeeping experience. My only tip for you would be that managing both the camera, and the content is hard. I recruit my wife, or a kid, or a tripod to make things a bit easier.”

“Great job on your videos ! Nice to see operations and their ways of doing things through video.”

“I follow you on Facebook and I appreciate all your Beekeeping contributions….I don’t agree with most of your ag related positions but I appreciate hearing it as it adds perspective for me. Thanks a bunch don’t worry about posting too many video blog clips.”


These are three comments I’ve gotten from the many in feedback from the video blogging I’m now doing. I think that first comment is right. Guys aren’t paying attention because of my extraordinary production skills. It’s content they are after. Steady as she goes. One positive is that I’m more comfortable in front of the camera now. It’s not as intimidating anymore.
Interesting stat, since I’ve started video blogging there has been 7000 hits to my videos and 20,000 min of video watched. Quite the fun project!

October 8 2017

Kinda a slack day yesterday…there are so many need to do but not pressing farm jobs around that I’m not sure where to start. So I spent the day drifting around and goofing with the kids. One of those drifting things I did was edit a video clip of my honey house extraction setup. I’m trying to eliminate the dull boring nature of my clips. I have about as much camera charisma as my living room couch and my editing skills are lacking…but I do find an interest in this because conveying my message to others drives what I do. Check out the video clip above. I used iMovie to edit my clips together… I can only get better from here ! Lol

So today I started into those need to do jobs and somehow ended up cleaning out our bulk water tank. The sludge that accumulate in our tanks are hard on the spraying equipment so regular clean outs of our bulk tanks are critical. Now cleaned out I can resume fall spraying our zero till land.

October 5 2017

We brought out the big gun todsy and started our final facility clean up. That dried bee shit on the ceiling and walls is nearly impossible to get off. This industrial pressure washer blasts steam at a set temp of 330 degrees F and makes quick work of that caked on dried stained bee shit. After a full day washing every inch of the hot room, it looks brand new again. We will spend tomorrow in the extraction room and hopefully have the room and equipment looking it’s finest again. We rent this machine from RiteWay Rentals in Winkler. A rental business our farm leans on for every type of odd job we need to get done around here.

October 3 2017

Last of the honey to be shipped out tomorrow. We are clearing out the entire facility so that it can be completely washed down with a diesel steam industrial pressure washer, rented from RiteWay Rentals, Winkler. The wash down will take us two days. All that accumulated bee shit stuck to the walls will be washed away and this place will look brand new again.  We covered the silage piles this morning.  I made a video Blog on it found below.


September 28 2017

Four inches of rain disappeared into land like a spounge. Our lawn is green again. We are lucky this cool wet weather pattern didn’t fall during our wheat and canola harvest. I’ve started a video blog, see the YouTube link below. A bit of commentary on work around the farm. I’ve been getting all kinds of feedback on my blogs.  This has turned into an interesting project. Blogging takes an extraordinary amount of time,  video blogging is no less. But I like doing it. To be honest, the reason why I’ve started video blogging is to practice speaking in front of a crowd. The BCHPA is a few weeks away and I’ve never presented in front of a large crowd before. My presentations are nearly complete now. I’m actually going to run long on time if anything! Lol